Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

3 posters

Reflection

Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Location : In the Livery Inn, at the heart of the Westside Alliance

Reflection Empty Reflection

Post by Wayward Daughter Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 19:53

Prologue - Glimpses

Dance music pumped its way loudly through the house, and Sophia sang along absent-mindedly as she got ready. She slipped into the glimmering party dress she'd bought especially for tonight, then turned to plug her straighteners in, fine-touching her makeup as she waited for them to warm up. As she picked the implement up, her eyes caught a glimpse of the mirror above her head. She winced.

Why had it been like that, recently? Every time she'd as much as see a mirror, it'd draw her in, like it was tugging at her attention. It always happened, no matter what she was doing at the time. It'd been happening for weeks. And it was frightening her, really - she couldn't understand it.

She sighed, annoyed at herself now for entertaining such stupid thoughts when she was meant to be preparing for going out. She just needed to get a few drinks inside herself..... following that notion, she headed for the kitchen, pulled a bottle down from the shelf. Soon, she'd gotten herself back into the party spirit, and had forgotten all weirdness. She finished her hair and makeup, grabbed her clutch and rang for a taxi. The entire household would be out with her. Throughout the night, she partied and danced and drank, laughing and just generally having fun. Almost. That strangeness still clung to her, it clung to every reflection, every mirror in the bathroom of every club. She wished that she could tell herself that it was just a weird form of drunkenness, but she knew otherwise. It was real. And it lasted beyond the night, remaining there the next morning as she'd known it would. Finally, after weeks of evading, she gave up - looked directly in the image.

What she saw made her back away hastily, stumbling backwards and glancing behind her.

There was someone there.

However, when she looked behind her, there was no one there - just her alone in the empty hallway. Shaking, she looked back, and saw the same face. Hazel brown eyes, young, but with a haunted look. An incredible mixture of hope and darkness.

"Who are you?" she whispered. As soon as she spoke, she was startled. She hadn't realised she had asked aloud.

She gained no answer, either, and after a second, she looked away. Once she was only seeing the glass in the corner of her eye, he'd vanished. It was like she'd only imagined it. She shook her head, telling herself to get a grip, and stop imagining weird things. Did she want to be some kind of freak? No. So she shouldn't act like she did, or go looking for something which wasn't there.

Over the next few days, she tried again to forget the mirrors and the tugging feeling and the boy she'd seen. But it was to no use. The sight seemed to be pulling at her even more than the earlier vague feeling had. She knew that she'd eventually end up where she had been, in front of the full length mirror in the hallway once more. Worrying over her reaction, she made sure that she waited before the house was empty before she returned there, and when she did, she knew she'd been right.

He was back.

"Who are you?" she whispered, echoing herself previously. "Why.... why me? Why am I the only one who can see you there? What do you want from me?"
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Reflection Empty Re: Reflection

Post by Mrs P Sylar Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 18:44

Awesome alright Really enjoyed it Smile Can't wait to find out who the guy is Very Happy
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 19:37

Thanks Smile Wonder if there's any way I could drag more people into reading these, though whistle It's kinda disappointing/disheartening to get little response.
    ItsAGibbo
    ItsAGibbo
    HOLLY

Post by ItsAGibbo Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:24

Whoa! That's awesome! o.O (Not kidding either) I love it!! Very Happy
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:25

Glad you both liked it. Any favourite parts, or guesses for the future?
    ItsAGibbo
    ItsAGibbo
    HOLLY

Post by ItsAGibbo Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:27

I'm guessing that he'll be some sort of memory she's blocked out from her mind about her past... or some sort of demon following her but can only walk through the earth through the use of things that have a reflective surface...
    Or something completely normal like a dream. xD
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:29

Not saying if any of those are true or not, or close or anything Laughing Though I love the last one - dream Wink
    ItsAGibbo
    ItsAGibbo
    HOLLY

Post by ItsAGibbo Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:30

Thanks... I think xD

Personally I would have probably written guess number two xD
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:30

whistle Smile
    ItsAGibbo
    ItsAGibbo
    HOLLY

Post by ItsAGibbo Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:32

Not telling anything? Okay... Razz
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:47

Laughing I don't know, it sounds a bit like paranoia, but I doubt it's that Wink Holly might be right about the evil person theory Razz
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:50

Can you really see me writing a story about paranoia? Wink
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 21:56

No, but maybe insanity Wink Yeah, okay, it was a bit unrealistic Razz
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 22:53

Also, did it at all remind you of Niki in S1? whistle I was thinking that as I wrote it. There's also a similarity to the start of Mordant's Need, but you wouldn't see that.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 0:50

I did sort of see that Razz But I didn't think you'd write about multiple personality disorder either Wink
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 22:02

It doesn't mean anything, really, it was just reminding me of that, and I was thinking others would see the same connection.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Sat 28 Jan 2012 - 22:04

Now that you mention, I do Razz
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Sun 29 Jan 2012 - 14:22

Chapter 1 - Confusion

"Who are you? What do you want from me?"

Again, there was no answer. Or not a verbal one, anyway. Even with the silence, and the echo of her voice hanging in the air, she somehow felt like she had been replied to, as all that concern and the tugging feeling just fell away. Suddenly, she could relax. In truth, it was almost a struggle to remain conscious, and she barely managed to struggle her way back into her room before she collapsed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change was the first thing was aware of as she opened her eyes. Everything was different. There was no noise of traffic outside, no sunlight peering in through her window, nothing familiar at all. Shakily, she rose to her feet, and confirmed her suspicions. It wasn't her bedroom, not anymore. It wasn't anywhere she'd ever seen before.

For a moment, that realisation made her head spin, and made her so giddy that she nearly fell again. Where was she? Where was this? And how had she gotten here? It was impossible..... with considerable difficulty, she forced herself to regain her grip on reality. So things had changed, impossibly - she'd just have to cope with it. Looking around again, she this time determined to actually take in her surroundings. It was a dark room, small and stuffed with boxes, illuminated thinly by a beam of light which had crept through the bottom of a wooden door. There was nothing which explained it there. But then, what had she expected - a note filled with answers? She laughed at the mere thought. No, she'd have to look for her explanations, and they weren't inside, so she'd have to leave.

Heading for the door, she pushed against the handle, and found that it yielded easily to her slightest pressure. She took a few steps outwards. It was a street, but a small and quiet one, more like an alley. The sun was low; making it look like it was nearly dawn, even though it'd been evening.... before. Gathering her courage, she forced herself to take a few more steps outside. By now, everything seemed alien. There was nothing startlingly wrong, and yet exactly nothing fit, either. The street, the building, even the time of day... it was all different.

"Who is it?" she called out suddenly, hearing footsteps approaching. That immediately reminded her of asking the same question to the mysterious reflected man, and as suddenly, she just knew that the two occurrences were connected. She wasn't that surprised when the approaching figure came into view, and she could see that his face was the one thing she had seen before, in this place.

"Who are you? Why.... did you bring me here?! Why? What is this place?"

"No, you brought yourself here," he replied. "I wouldn't have the power needed. But... I did call for you."

"What?! Why?"

"Because we needed help," he answered simply, spreading his hands in a gesture which encompassed the entire area. "Without.... the war's going so badly that I can see no other end than us all dead. Most of the others don't even see any other way."

The expression on his face was completely serious and sincere as he spoke, and Sophia knew that he meant every word, much as those words made her head spin.

"But I...." suddenly she stopped, swallowing down her original comment about being unable to offer any help. She couldn't voice it. "Why do you fight, then, if you can't win? Why couldn't you just surrender?"

"Haven't you ever had a cause you could never give up on?" he countered softly.

She shook her head. She hadn't... at least not personally.... but she knew what he meant, and could think of circumstances where it'd be true. As he watched her, she could tell that he was following her thoughts. He hadn't seemed dispirited when she'd shaken her head, anyway.

"Then you're lucky, in a way," he commented. "I still know you will help ... you wouldn't have answered, if you'd refuse."

"What do you mean? Please, just explain this...."

He shook his head.

"Not here," he replied. "Not out in the open, like this... Come on, follow me. I'll lead you somewhere safe."

She immediately began questioning again, but he didn't listen, beginning to stride away. Swearing under her breath, she realised that her only choice was to follow him. Either that or stay here, in this alien place alone with no explanations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half an hour had passed, and he was still tugging her forwards determinately, without relenting at all. She'd asked him over and over to explain, being met only by silence, until she'd eventually given up. She tried keeping an eye on their surroundings as they passed, but they were so unfamiliar and repetitive, and they were moving so quickly, that she couldn't. Numbly, she wondered if she'd even realise if they were going round in circles.

"Where are we even going?" she asked. After a moment, she wondered why she'd even bothered. He wouldn't explain... he didn't explain anything.

"We need to be hidden," he answered tersely, falling silent after. Still he pulled her onwards.

"Why, though? What's so dangerous? This war you mentioned before?"

He nodded.

"Then... why did you bring me here? I know you said you needed help... but why me? I'm... I'm just me. I'm not exactly a fighter."

He frowned at that, but only for a second. He didn't seem to believe her, and she wondered why. Was he really so certain about what he'd said previously - that she wouldn't have "answered" if she'd been the wrong person? And how had she answered, anyway? All she'd done was ask what was going on.

"Please... how much longer before we can stop?" she eventually begged. How much longer before she'd get her answers? He hesitated then, and she could see a flicker of some emotion crossing his face. Her pleading seemed to have reached something within him. He slowed.

"It's not safe," he warned her."But then.... there's nowhere safe, here. You arrived at the wrong side of the wall. We'd have to cross it, to get back."

She began asking what wall he meant, but he silenced her with an abrupt gesture. Listening, she realised that she too could hear heavy footsteps and voices nearby.

"Guards," he whispered. She knew then to heed the warning, and not ask the many questions which were still spinning around in her mind.

"What do we do?" she asked instead, copying the same whispering tone as he'd used before.

"We have to get through... somehow. But it was difficult enough fighting through once. You weren't supposed to arrive at this part of town.... I don't know why you did. I don't even know how I knew you would be here."

She nodded, just to show that she'd followed, whilst trying desperately to think of something they could do to get past. Some kind of diversion, somehow... seconds after she'd thought that, she jumped, as the sound of an explosion rang through the air.

"What was that?!" she yelped. He didn't answer. He just grabbed her arm again, and began racing forwards, even more quickly than when they'd been moving before. Everything turned into a blur, as they passed through, nothing but dark corridors and a feeling of intense danger. She didn't bother questioning. She just ran with him as quickly as her feet could move.

"What was that?" she asked once more, after they'd finally stopped. They'd gotten through the wall's tunnels now, and were deep within the other side of the town. If she'd found her surroundings shabby where she'd first arrived, they were nothing on where she was currently. Half of these buildings looked like they had trouble standing up.

"What was what?" he countered. His tone was innocent. But then, she half suspected that it was too innocent, like it was feigned, and that he knew exactly what she was questioning.

"You know.... that explosion. The one which distracted the guards and got us through. That one.... it was weird. It happened just when I was thinking we might need some sort of distraction..."

He paused, suddenly, and looked at her. His expression was now incredulous.

"You.... you don't know?!
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Sun 29 Jan 2012 - 18:29

Question Good chapter alright All a bit confusing though Razz Still didn't really get an answer Wink
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Sun 29 Jan 2012 - 19:46

In that chapter, it was meant to be getting more information to process, more than getting answers Wink And even though the title refers more to Sophia's confusion, it is apt Wink
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 18:33

I sort of figured it was confusion just to mess me up Wink
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Mon 30 Jan 2012 - 18:40

No, I needed to mention all the changes, obviously. And I thought it'd be too easy if she got explanations instantaneously Wink Plus stopping and explaining everything would defy any feeling of danger.
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Reflection Empty Chapter 2 - Doubts

Post by Wayward Daughter Mon 6 Feb 2012 - 15:48

Chapter 2 - Doubts

"You... you don't know?!"

Sophia shook her head.

"I don't know anything, here," she reminded him. "I don't understand anything. Can you please explain?"

He hesitated, but something in his expression told her that it wasn't a hesitancy to answer. It was more like he was weighing the words in his mind.

"It's.... it's the truth about you, about what you are," he answered finally. "And what you can do - which is almost anything, really, if the legends are true. Which they have to be..... wait, I'm deviating. What you are - well, the word used for it - the most common one is witch."

"Witch?" she echoed, almost hysterically. Even stronger now grew the simple sensation that this just couldn't be happening.

"Yeah - well, that's what they call you," he nodded. As he spoke, a wry smile grew. "But it's probably nothing like anything you've ever heard. Not if you weren't forewarned. Witches - real witches - their entire stereotype was simply invented to discredit them. In reality, they're almost the opposite."

"Opposite?" she echoed, again. Somehow, her capacity to reply in more than one word answers had vanished.

"They're not devil-workers, like they're reputed to be," he nodded. "They used to fight here, alongside us.... over a century ago, now. Eventually, they fled, before they were all killed. But they were miraculous. They could heal anything, overcome advantages of dozens of men, conjure fire and storms from nowhere... they were the only hope we had."

"So that's why you called for one," she whispered. She felt numb, now, like her head was filled with cotton wool. All of this was too much. She wanted to deny it, say that there was no way she could be like that, a witch. But then she'd remember that explosion. Conjuring fire from nowhere.... she'd already done that.

"I'll answer more when we're inside," he added, gesturing her forwards again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They walked forwards once more, but this time they didn't seem to be far from where he'd been aiming for all along. Within ten minutes, he'd stopped. Smiling, he gestured almost grandly at one of the houses, a small run-down building inconspicuous amongst the rest.

"Our home," he grinned. He urged her inside.

Almost as soon as she'd entered, there was uproar. Every single person there leapt to their feet, a few moving their hands towards concealed weapons or the nearest heavy object. The only ones which didn't do that were the ones who'd spotted the man behind her, who were instead angrily questioning his audacity in bringing someone here.

"She's an ally," he announced, in response. His voice was quiet, but it still managed to grasp attention in the din. "More than that... she's a witch."

Immediately, the level of noise crescendoed even louder than before.

"What?!"

"She can't be!"

"Where did you find her?"

He raised a hand, asking for silence.

"I called," he answered. "That old mirror which has been in that warehouse for decades... we all know the witches left it behind. But I was the only one who asked. The only one who dared hope. And I learned... that the mirror used to be used to communicate with other mirrors - that it could be used to find another, now. To call one here."

The silence echoed, then, and Sophia wasn't sure who was more shocked: herself or the listening men. The words had made his earlier claims really strike home. He believed she was what he was asking for?! He believed she could be what would save his cause? Before she knew it, she was shaking her head.

"I'm sorry... but I don't think I can be what he's saying I am...."

"You answered, though, didn't you?" one interrupted. "If you answered, then you are. Even if you don't yet believe it. It's that simple."

"What does that even mean?!"

She was answered by another silence, but it was different from the earlier quietness. That one had been attentive. It'd been almost respectful or awestruck. This one - it was incredulous. Watching all of their gathered faces which were all watching her intently in turn, she realised that they still didn't believe a single word she'd just spoken. They couldn't.

Shaking her head again, she headed for the door. None of them made any attempt to stop her as she exited. To the opposite, they were almost moving out of her way and making room for her to pass. She paced out as rapidly as she could, but before she'd moved more than a few houses down the street, she stopped and buried her face in her hands. What had she gotten herself into? And how?! For the millionth time today, her mind revisited the fact that none of this made any sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What will it take to have you believe us?"

She leapt quickly around, having not even heard him approaching. At once, he raised his hands in a placating gesture. He was keeping his distance, too. With a terrifying clarity, she realised why - he was afraid of her.

"What will it take to have you believe me?" he asked again, his tone softer this time. She could almost see his attitude softening towards her, as it had before, as if he for a second could see things from her perspective.

"All of this..." she gestured around. "It's just too big.... too much.... I.... I can't do this. I can't be this!"

"Why not?" he countered.

"It's just not me! It isn't my life, it's never been like this, I'm not...."

"How come?" he asked, but it seemed like he was just thinking aloud. He shook his head. "How could you not know? I thought they'd all know, they'd all remember - and even if they didn't, if they'd forgotten here, surely they'd still know what they are...."

"I don't know I'm a witch," she assured him. Her tone was little more than a whisper. Even as she spoke, she remembered that explosion she'd caused, and shuddered as she remembered it'd been unnatural. She couldn't really say that she didn't know what she was. Not now. "Or I didn't.... until before."

He smiled slightly, watching her expression closely, seeing the realisation and admittance dawning.

"But that still doesn't change anything," she continued. "I mean - we don't even know who each other are..."

His smile grew into a grin.

"Well, that's easily remedied," he pointed out. "My name is Nick Ryan. I've been fighting here since I was 15 years old. My family have been here for countless generations. I don't have a choice."

Unable to help it, she just laughed at that little introduction.

"Nice to meet you, Nick, I guess. I'm Sophia, Sophia Landon. And apparently I'm a witch, though I haven't even known that for an hour yet."

He grinned back, but after a minute that smile fell.

"Will you help us?" he asked softly. "Please.... honestly, we're desperate. We don't have a hope without you."

She hesitated.

"We need you," he added.

She continued to hesitate. They did need someone, she believed that by now. She didn't have any doubt on that account; his certainty left no room for any doubting. But... could that someone, that aid, somehow be her? At first, her mind's answer was a resounding no. It reminded her of all her previous arguments: her complete lack of experience of fighting, and of this place; the fact that she hadn't even known that she was anything at all, before today. And yet.... one simple reply echoed in return. He'd called for her. He'd called for this help, and she'd been the one to hear his call. Not only answer, but hear, in the first place. Surely that meant something.

She lifted her head. Immediately, he could see the answer - the new belief - shining in her eyes. He visibly relaxed.

"I'll try," she offered.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Fri 17 Feb 2012 - 23:29

Sweet Very Happy Love it, cool idea Very Happy Very Happy
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst