Discussion about Heroes NBC

Iron Man 3

anonymousidentity20k
    Mystery Man
    Mystery Man

Iron Man 3

Post by anonymousidentity20k on Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 23:50

Well the first film in Marvel's phase 2 film series was good but I did leave slightly disappointed. If you have not watched this yet then I would advise you to read no further as this post will contain a number of SPOILERS and yes I'm aware I could use the spoiler box but I'm taking this as a review.

Good points:

Starts off really well good build up and creates a lot of suspense which it manages to keep throughout.
    Stan Lee cameo always brilliant this time as a pageant judge Very Happy
    Yinsen is back for a scene at the start obviously it is in a flashback but it does really establish an important basis for the film which is very good.
    The attack on Stark's home proves how awesome the power the villain has is and also gives you the most important life lesson of all, never ever ever ever offer a terrorist an invite to bring the fight to you then give them your home address.
    The use of the Iron Patriot was surprisingly pulled off really well as from the comic books we know that the Iron Patriot is Norman Osborn (The original Green Goblin) but as the rights to Spiderman are owned by another company obviously he can't be in it instead it is a War Machine revamp but it's worked into a way that I think suits the film Rhodey best.
    The ending with Stark fighting Aldridge Killian played by Guy Pearce could you ask for a better actor to play such a villain he brought the character to life tremendously and was just purely fantastic throughout.

Bad points:

Sorry to end on a negative in this review but it is necessary.
    WHAT THE F*CK HAPPENED???????? Why is the Mandarin not in this film?? Disney how dare you lie to us perhaps Stark's most awesome nemesis who would have been incredible to watch on screen and he's not even in it Suspect angry Evil or Very Mad
    Now yes you could argue he is as the name of the character is made into more of an idea of a made up character to cover the true villainy and the statement made by Killian at the end about himself being The Mandarin I'm sorry but no this film is even based on a highly acclaimed comic book called Extremis and you buggered it at the exact moment where we find out Ben Kingsley is playing some actor called Trevor Slattery who yes is hilarious but I expected more from this.
    There is no explanation as to the villain's symbol that of a sword surrounded by ten rings in a kind of Sikh style which is pretty cool but why would they use such a symbol (obviously from reading the comic books you will know the answer) but for anyone else you will have no idea about the meaning of this.
    The meaning I shall tell you is that it is the symbol for the Ten Rings which is the terrorist organisation which captures Stark in the first film who are named after the ten rings that are worn by the Mandarin and although there is a brief scene where you see the actor wearing ten rings there is no explanation as to why you'd name an organisation after everyday objects. The answer of course is The Mandarin's power is given to him by the ten rings each ring allows him to display a particular ability aside from his superhuman strength and agility and his mastery of Chi and so therefore being a massive fan of such a character I was outraged by the fact the character is not in it at least not properly he is mentioned as a symbol illusion which to me and many an Iron Man fan feels like the production company has lifted a gigantic middle finger at us this madness must be rectified in Iron Man 4 if there is one although there probably will be this aspect alone was enough to annoy me for the remainder of the film.

Final Score: 7.2/10 I originally was stricter in my judgement of this film based purely on the lack of the actual Mandarin but aside from this the film was not bad Killian was an interesting villain and it kept up a good level of suspense throughout. The acting was superb and the visual effects were mesmerising, the story was decent but could have been better if they hadn't pissed off the fans with the Mandarin build up.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

This is usually the part where people start screaming - Sylar.

Superheroesfanatic-IR
    Head Admin
    Head Admin

Re: Iron Man 3

Post by Superheroesfanatic-IR on Thu 2 May 2013 - 11:45

hi, watched it yday Very Happy really awesome, as in epic but i did want a better super villain. I haven't read the comics but i thought it did need to have someone more villainous and powerful.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

simon says:
    yes
    The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski on Fri 3 May 2013 - 13:53

Simply put, I hated it. Spoilers below.

Good:
    • The Blue song popping up was quite a funny surprise.
    • RDJ and the rest of the cast were great as usual.
    • The house destruction sequence looked fantastic and was just a good scene all around
    • Stark's action scene with only one repulsor and boots was pretty good and refreshing to see that man have action without his suits to protect him.

Bad:
    • Some of the CGI didn't look as good as it could have, even on something as "simple" as the iron man armour. I know the first 2 films had their share of it too but they were still trying out new methods. The Avengers stuck to what worked and the Iron Man effects looked faultless. Here it looks like the new company went with new methods.
    • Likewise, the prop suits looked like cheap plastic models. I understand it would have to be for scenes like Tony dragging one through the snow, but they could have been sturdier. They would be great if they were homemade costumes for a convention, for a multi million dollar film, not so much.
    • The twist wasn't needed at all and hurt the film more than it added to it. It was a pointless, cheap trick that left me feeling robbed, and I'm not even a reader of the comics.
    • The final battle was a bit anti-climatic (although all Iron Man films have been like that to some extent) and more could have been done with the Iron Legion.
    • The depiction of Extremis didn't work for me. It was really inconsistent for a start and the look pushed my suspension of disbelief as far as it could go even for a comic book movie. If it was more like the super solider serum it would have been fine, but glowing red people who can breathe fire?
    • The humour seemed forced a lot of the time and didn't really fit the story. E.g. Tony's constant one liners did really fit with his new scared, paranoid state. Even more so when he does it seconds after seeing Pepper "die".
    • Like Iron Man 2, the film felt like a combination of too many ideas, none of which were developed fully. The biggest issue being the anxiety attacks. It was more of a cheap plot device to quickly explain why he had all those new suits. It would have been much better if he had a breakdown in the middle of the final fight or something.

I think it's by far the worst entry in the MCU so far and wasn't a great start to what looks like a risky phase 2. While it might be an okay film on it's own, I do think this was a terrible Iron Man film. It felt to me like Shane Black had took a script for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 2 or something and just forced the Iron Man characters into it.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar on Sun 5 May 2013 - 11:21

I really liked it, I thought the Mandarin was alright, but I guess I haven't read the comics either so I didn't really know what to expect from him. I can't say it was my favourite Iron Man film but I did enjoy it and I think it was a good film.

"Iron Man. That's kinda catchy. It's got a nice ring to it."

"The truth is; I am Iron Man."

"The suit and I are one."
    anonymousidentity20k
    Mystery Man
    Mystery Man

Post by anonymousidentity20k on Sun 5 May 2013 - 17:27

Haha Very Happy Killian was a good villain but they should have left the Mandarin out of it completely or followed Extremis much more closely if they were gonna go down that avenue my only thought of not using the Mandarin properly was because of the infinity gauntlet but if that was the case then they should have gone for something else instead of ruining one of the greatest Iron Man villains.

The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski on Tue 7 May 2013 - 16:34

Well at least we could try and comfort ourselves with the "fact" that the Mandarin didn't really appear. Killian made him up to cover the explosions. There's a theory that Killian could have heard the name somewhere in relation to the ten rings terrorist organisation, which would mean that the real Mandarin is out there and angry that people were using his name.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar on Tue 7 May 2013 - 17:49

Yeah that's a valid point! There's obviously going to be another one so maybe the Mandarin'll appear in that! But I really liked the ending - with him getting the arc reactor removed and the after credits scene was hilarious Laughing

"Iron Man. That's kinda catchy. It's got a nice ring to it."

"The truth is; I am Iron Man."

"The suit and I are one."
    anonymousidentity20k
    Mystery Man
    Mystery Man

Post by anonymousidentity20k on Thu 9 May 2013 - 20:53

Very true that was my initial thought about Killian hearing the name somewhere an aspect I heavily reflected when I got home afterwards and took it upon myself to begin writing Iron Man 4 I was that incensed by the situation. Did enjoy seeing Bruce Banner at the end as well though Very Happy The removal of the arc reactor whilst it would be a decent enough idea as a finisher it should not have been done as it defeats one of the main aspects of the character he's partly driven by the fact that he should be dead but he isn't because he has a super-magnet keeping him alive thus making him believe he has a chance to do something good for people something that is an opposite to his former self so I was a bit annoyed by that and if you think about it if it were that easy to remove the shrapnel why didn't he do it in Iron Man (2008) and just avoided this whole thing anyway I'm not gonna keep dwelling on the failures of this film as long as it can be improved in the MCU later on although I liked the idea of him being tormented by the events of the Avengers Very Happy

The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski on Fri 10 May 2013 - 16:55

I'm still torn on the idea of him being affected by the events at the end of the Avengers. Like I said, the whole thing didn't make much difference but could have been great if it was more developed and better integrated into the story.

I also didn't think it fit in with the character. His life was at risk in all the films and not really cared afterwards, and while the alien thing was a new level for him I still feel he'd be more likely to brag about defeating an entire alien army and the fact that he went to space than he would lose sleep over it.
    anonymousidentity20k
    Mystery Man
    Mystery Man

Post by anonymousidentity20k on Sun 12 May 2013 - 21:18

I take the view that the experience he goes through when he goes into space something that he hasn't physically shown himself capable of doing had taken its toll on him not so much the appearance of aliens although he would have had to have been slightly disturbed at their presence to begin with but as you said it is something he is more likely to brag over but just finding himself in an environment where he slowly suffocates and is almost incinerated by a nuclear missile would have to have some sort of repercussions on him physically but as with most of the film it was the execution that let that particular aspect down as it is slowly built up we get to the climax and suddenly its as if it never happened same goes for Pepper's "death" you'd think he'd at least struggle in his fight as he's gonna be suffering fatigue from a lengthy battle couple that with his physical and mental condition he couldn't be completely focused which furthers his exhaustion add a dab of revenge and he's going to be mindlessly swinging around till he collapses and leaves himself vulnerable. That all failed but I liked the original build up to the condition things went bad pretty much when we find some random person called Trevor.

The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski on Tue 4 Feb 2014 - 18:44

Spoiler:
    Well it seems the theory was correct. In the new Marvel one-shot a ten rings agent finds Trevor to bust him out because the real Mandarin is mad and wants to meet him.
    The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski on Sun 10 May 2015 - 17:46

I rewatched Iron Man 3 not too long ago and my entire opinion of it changed. It's far from a perfect film but I found myself laughing all the way through.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017 - 15:11