Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

3 posters

Season 5 comic discussion

The Little Lebowski
    The Little Lebowski

Season 5 comic discussion Empty Season 5 comic discussion

Post by The Little Lebowski Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 13:56

I posted a few threads on this on my Heroes EU forum but with anonymousidentity20k away I'm the only member there. Thought I might as well post it here. I'll keep the first post only as a list of confirmed details, it can be updated when we know more.

What we know so far...
    Written by Cullen Bunn and released by Dynamite Entertainment who are no stranger to TV properties with Battlestar Galactica, Grimm, Sherlock Holmes, Warehouse 13 and Game of Thrones series.
    The first issue is will focus mainly on Claire.
    Each issue will pay attention to a single character (or a couple of them), instead of trying to fit all of them in.
    Most of the favourite main characters will return. Does this mean so won't, and will we get new characters too?
    The first issue(s) will include a large curve ball that will shake the Heroes world and open up new stories.
    Some external reports suggested a winter 2013 release although now we know that isn't going to happen. I've contacted Cullen Bunn and Dynamite. Never got a reply from Bunn and Dynamite said "At this time, we have no announcements about that book."

Anything else got anything to add that I may have missed?

Last edited by Sylar on Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 14:08; edited 1 time in total
    The Little Lebowski
    The Little Lebowski

Season 5 comic discussion Empty Re: Season 5 comic discussion

Post by The Little Lebowski Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 14:03

Now that's out of the way we can start discussing, something there is a surprising lack of. What do you hope we get, and what do expect we will get? What do you hope they avoid?

I hope we get a worthy follow up to such a promising set up that will lead to a real conclusion. I would then like any future volumes to feature new characters and stories in the brave new world. I expect we'll get an entertaining series but the lack of anyone from the show involved will mean it probably won't feel like Heroes, though that might be a good thing. I am prepared for a huge amount of retcons or going off on new tangents instead of going with a straight forward season 5. Of course there's also the decent chance the series will be cancelled before season 5 even finishes.

Should we be worried that it might not even go ahead? The series was announced in mid-July. I don't know how long it takes to get things running but there has been no news on it what-so-ever since then. They had the writer and were ready to make the announcement so there must have been some development by that time. I know the comments sections on sites reporting it were mostly full of negative comments. Part of me is afraid the lack of interest to the announcement made them reconsider, but after buying the comic rights and hiring a writer they wouldn't just end it without at least trying would they? That seems like a guaranteed way to lose money.

A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

Post by A Returning Charlotte Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 15:18

I had no idea about this at all! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll join the discussion at some point later once I get back.
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Location : In the Livery Inn, at the heart of the Westside Alliance

Post by Wayward Daughter Fri 3 Jan 2014 - 14:47

Is this any more likely to happen than the earlier rumours of a form of return? A wrap-up miniseries, a film, that Microsoft streaming deal etc. All of those came to nothing.

Also, one thing you said has me a bit confused. In your first post, you said that most of the main characters would be included, with the first comic centred around Claire. Yet in your second, you mention a lack of anyone previously involved.
    The Little Lebowski
    The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski Fri 3 Jan 2014 - 18:05

I meant creative input from anyone involved with the Heroes show. Instead the comics are all being written by one writer with no prior connection to the show and no mention of Kring or other writers helping out as a consultant.

The wrap-up series and movie were simply Tim Kring's negotiations with NBC to try and give fans closure and they rejected the ideas, at no point was it reported to be going ahead. All we know about the Microsoft series is one articles worth and that only said they were in talks to purchase the rights, we can only assume that they couldn't come to a deal or Dynamite offered more money.

Whereas the Dynamite comics is a done deal, it's not just reports of talks to buy the property but they have already bought the rights and got whatever permissions to go ahead. They then also officially announced the Heroes revival and stated they had the writer attached to the project at the San Diego Comic-Con. So it happening is pretty much confirmed. My worries are based on the fact that we've had no updates at all since, and that the lack of fan reaction may have scared them into thinking that there was no money to be made from the series so it wouldn't be worth going through with the costs of publication of distribution.

I think we can all assume the Microsoft series isn't going to happen but I don't know if Dynamite own the entire rights to the Heroes property or just for the comics, so it may still be possible to get both even if it is highly unlikely.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024 - 8:50