Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

2 posters

New, Non FF Story(s)

Poll

Which Story?

[ 1 ]
    New, Non FF Story(s) Bar_left25%New, Non FF Story(s) Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 3 ]
    New, Non FF Story(s) Bar_left75%New, Non FF Story(s) Bar_right [75%] 

Total Votes: 4
    Poll closed
    Rokstarr
    Rokstarr
    The Real Adam Young
    The Real Adam Young

New, Non FF Story(s) Empty New, Non FF Story(s)

Post by Rokstarr Tue 11 May 2010 - 19:50

Right, so I've been getting a little bored of my FF recently. Not that I'm going to stop it- I've planned too much and set up too many plots to stop now. But this would just be something to do instead of an FF. They're the only long term story I've wrote so I'm going to see how I cope with writing either another fantasy or a true one.

So my question is, do I write a story like this:

Idea 1.
    Ok, lets call the main character Bob. This one would be from Bob's point of view. If I did this it would switch between main chars throughout the volumes/books. For example, Bob would be V1. But Shelley would be the speaker in V2, then Bob in V3, and maybe Jim in V4. I probably wouldnt publish it for those reasons, it would be too complicated.
    Basically, Bob starts off with a normal life. It would be like this for a while, until he starts to come down fatally ill. He goes into hospital and slips in and out of conciousness for a while, before passing out into a coma. But in the coma, Bob wakes up. He finds himself with two dozen or so others in a strange environment. There is a man- alien- at the front. He's tall, muscular and has purply red skin, with huge yellow eyes. He asks the humans for his help, tells them that they are on a planet far from home. Also, the alien explains that this planet is in danger. There is a device at the bottom of their sea that is a literal ticking time bomb. If they dont defuse it soon, the whole planet will explode. Bob must stop the bomb before the planet explodes, and find a way back home to Earth. But is life ever that simple?....

Or a story like this:

Idea 2.
    This takes place in Western Africa in the early 1800's. There is a tribal war going on between two tribes. It's told in the 3rd person, from the narrators view. The main character is fighting for the losing side. The other side has been aided with guns and swords by the British Empire, in exchange for slaves. Eventually the main chars tribe are defeated and the main taken in by the enemy and held prisoner for a while. But it isnt long before the Empire come, with a ship full of supplies. The enemy trade with the British in exchange for more slaves. The main is taken on a journey on the ship to the West Indies. The journey itself is commonly known as 'The Middle Passage', which would be the title of the story. On the boat, there is hundreds or even thousands of African slaves. There are multiple levels and the slaves are crowded together. They are chained to the floor and cannot move for 3-6 months. They are treated worse than worse. They have to live in their own filth. When the horrendous journey ends,, the main has caught a deadly disease, unknown to him or anyone else. He is sold at an auction to an American Businessman who works in a factory. The air is thick with smoke and most slaves dont last more than a month or two. After two months of working in the factory, the main begins to suffer the consequences. His lungs flood with smoke and get clogged up. He dies of smoke poisoning before the disease can kill him. This is a true story, with the exception of the main char.

Please vote in the poll, to let me know. I know that the 2nd is more developed and emotional than the 1st. I probably wouldnt publish it ;/.

You have 2 weeks to vote!
    Mr_Isaac
    Mr_Isaac

New, Non FF Story(s) Empty Re: New, Non FF Story(s)

Post by Mr_Isaac Wed 12 May 2010 - 14:23

The first one, the ideas are far more original, and there seems to be far more room for plot development and interesting concepts. The second seems a little contrived to be honest. The plight of the slaves is a heartbreaking story, but there isn't any room for originality and the ending is too predictable. You have far less flexibility, and you have to make sure that it is historically accurate. If you don't plan the character well enough, there is a chance that it just wouldn't work.
    With the second one, you have freedom to develop the characters as you go along.
    However, if I were you, I'd finish V1 of your miniseries before starting an entirely new story.
    Rokstarr
    Rokstarr
    The Real Adam Young
    The Real Adam Young

Post by Rokstarr Thu 13 May 2010 - 15:41

For me the first one seemed kind of like Avatar, thats what put me off it.

But yeah, I'm finishing V1 before I even think of doing these, cos I've got no idea for V2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 6:55