Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

4 posters

Extinction lacking direction? V2 Deja vu anyone?

Mr_Isaac
    Mr_Isaac

Extinction lacking direction? V2 Deja vu anyone? Empty Extinction lacking direction? V2 Deja vu anyone?

Post by Mr_Isaac Mon 6 Sep 2010 - 23:41

Not sure exactly how to put this, so I'll jump straight in. For anyone who reads or used to read my mini-series "Extinction", I was hoping to guage some opinions on where I have gone wrong. I guess I was disappointed that only two people read the last two chapters that I posted a while back, at the end of which a huge twist is revealed in terms of the plot.

I suppose I took a different approach when writing the second arc, firstly I planned it a lot more than the first. Secondly, I wanted to build up the plot and suspense, and focus more on the characters. I have a hunch that this approach might have been a mistake, since I have lost pretty much all of my readers (except for Lowri and Jakey, who I love and appreciate all the more for sticking with it this far). I always endeavoured to gauge people's thoughts and opinions on the story and their ideas on where it might go, but not many seemed overly bothered about expressing themself (which of course is perfectly reasonable, although I do miss the general talk).

Anyway, to cut a long story short (forgive the pun Shocked), I would ask that anyone who has stuck with it until now to read the latest two chapters, in the hope that you will be enticed to read on by the twist at the end. And please also let me know where I have gone wrong (was it in keeping too much hidden from the reader?)

Thank you for reading this.

MIA

PS I'm aware that part of the reason may lie in my infrequent and unpredictable posting habits, and I guess I can only apologise, because essentially there isn't much I can do about that, everyone has a busy life, and although I love writing, it isn't a big part of mine. I took 4 A-levels, none of them english, and I'm going to Uni to study physics in 3 weeks (gulp!) so I'm sure you can understand. I bet a lot of ppl feel the same way.

Chris
    Chris
    Music Is Love

Extinction lacking direction? V2 Deja vu anyone? Empty Re: Extinction lacking direction? V2 Deja vu anyone?

Post by Chris Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 7:11

I never really started reading it, which I regret, but I also can't start now. Busy with school and stuff "/ sorry
    Mr_Isaac
    Mr_Isaac

Extinction lacking direction? V2 Deja vu anyone? Empty Re: Extinction lacking direction? V2 Deja vu anyone?

Post by Mr_Isaac Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 12:44

Well, cheers for replying, I guess. alright
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Location : In the Livery Inn, at the heart of the Westside Alliance

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 13:05

I still read it, I'll continue to read it while you continue it. I can't think of anything you could have done wrong to discourage readers - apart from maybe the timing, like you suggested, but that can't be helped. I'm trying to remember who else used to follow the series who are still members here, though.
    Rokstarr
    Rokstarr
    The Real Adam Young
    The Real Adam Young

Post by Rokstarr Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 19:49

I don't think that this has anything to do with the excellent way that you've been writing. I think that it's because most of the people here don't read FF's, or read them and don't comment. People do read them, but it's just that not everyone enjoys reading- which is understandable- or just don't feel the urge (Which they should, because your FF is amazing Very Happy )

If you think of it, don't stop it because of the popularity it attracts, but stop it when you feel that you can't take it any further. I've already planned the end of mine because I know that I won't be writing it forever. I don't want you to stop, but if you do, then do it because you just don't want to do it anymore, not because of what anyone else thinks. In the end, its up to you. And I'll be pestering people who don't read your FF to read it, because its worth it Very Happy
    Mr_Isaac
    Mr_Isaac

Post by Mr_Isaac Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 1:45

Haha, you both rock. I love you guys.

I remember Pippy kind of read it (i still majorly need to catch up on hers though too *looks guilty* which i will do a lot of it is actually really good) and Dana and Bill used to. Anon still reads i think, but it's been a while since he's commented. Erm, I was never really sure if SHF read it or not, but he commented once in while. You two will always be my most important readers though of course, stuck with it since the beginning. I remember at one point on the beeb I had over ten regular readers (*looks fondly into a corner*) but i obviously don't expect to get back to that since the show has been cancelled.

That's very good advice, thanks Jakey. I do enjoy writing it a lot, but a lot of that does stem from the enjoyment other people get/got out of it. I figured if I could get back to what made it so good in the first place then I might be able to recreate that enjoyment. Most of my first post is just personal insecurities I have about the current story.

To let you know, I do have a clear-cut ending planned for this Arc, and have for some time now. The problem is that it's not a very good place to end the series as a whole, in fact it would be an extremely sucky place. And the more I write the more ideas I come up with for the next Arc, which is pretty much set up by the end of this one (unlike the Decisions/Consequences transition). However, I don't know if I have it in me to write another Arc, and with the story I have in mind it would be at least as long as this one. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Location : In the Livery Inn, at the heart of the Westside Alliance

Post by Wayward Daughter Fri 10 Sep 2010 - 14:53

Dana's still reading it, but she can't comment since she's still being banned from coming here. Bil hasn't been online for months. And I'll ask Pippy and Rajan next time they're online
    Mr_Isaac
    Mr_Isaac

Post by Mr_Isaac Sat 11 Sep 2010 - 14:49

That sucks about Dana, but it's nice to know she's still reading.
    I didn't realise about Bil, I guess I just thought we kept missing each other. Oh well, if he enjoyed it as much as he said he did I'm sure he'll be back. I thought he was still writing his story and posting it here though.

Are you still writing, Lowri?
    Mr_Isaac
    Mr_Isaac

Post by Mr_Isaac Sat 25 Sep 2010 - 3:24

Progress report: The Firm is coming along nicely, nearly finished it. It's 17 pages so far, easily my longest chapter to date, but like I said it's a story in itself, and it breaks up nicely into sections, so you don't have to read it all at once. Hope to be posting it here soon. alright
    Rokstarr
    Rokstarr
    The Real Adam Young
    The Real Adam Young

Post by Rokstarr Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 15:56

Very Happy Ah good. I don't think you should end it like you said in an earlier post, but I would end it when you think that it's run its course and that you can't advance it.

However, even if you do unfortunatley stop writing this amazing story, please don't stop writing here. I love reading your stories and even if you don't write another FF, it's always great to read your stories.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 13 May 2024 - 9:01