Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

3 posters

Star Trek: Into Darkness

anonymousidentity20k
    anonymousidentity20k
    Mystery Man
    Mystery Man

Star Trek: Into Darkness Empty Star Trek: Into Darkness

Post by anonymousidentity20k Sun 12 May 2013 - 21:48

Will contain spoilers:

This film is in a word incredible. Now I am not much of a Trekkie before the 2009 reimagining I'd only ever seen a handful of Next Generation episodes and a couple of the Next Gen films like First Contact mainly because of how awesome Patrick Stewart is Smile but after 2009 I found the Original Series to be a lot more entertaining than I had ever thought it was with the characters to me being much better than TNG and so I began watching the originals along with the second film Wrath of Khan (Pretty great sci-fi film in general). So going to see this I had no idea what to expect really although I was fairly convinced as to the villains identity and I have a lot of faith in J.J. Abrams (though not much in Damon Lindelof who was brought in as a co-writer which I was worried about considering he messed up lost to a certain degree and ruined Prometheus). The film starts off well throwing you straight into the action where Spock almost dies if not for Kirk's clear lack of an ability to follow rules (which by no means is a bad thing). We then are taken to a futuristic London where we are given our first glimpse of a man named John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch was an excellent choice, his performance I couldn't fault) who despite being the villain saves a girl dying in the Children's hospital as long as her father detonates a bomb in a Starfleet building. We then have a demoted Kirk attend a Starfleet briefing alongside Admiral Pike which is interrupted by Harrison using a craft to attack the attendees. In the chaos Pike is killed and Kirk requests his command be reinstated as well as Spock being reinstated as his First Officer so he can go after Harrison to which oddly Admiral Marcus agrees. So the enterprise sets off for Klingon homeworld Kronos suffering a technical difficulty and falling out of warp while Uhura and Spock experience relationship issues a subject that baffles Kirk. More action follows and Harrison agrees to surrender to the federation after learning 72 missiles are zeroed in on his location. He reveals himself as Khan (Original Series watchers will already know the danger of this guy) and he informs Kirk of Marcus' treachery who low and behold then appears out of warp by the enterprise requesting Khan be transferred to his ship which is much more advanced than the Federation craft (built by Khan but we find that out later) Kirk and Khan infiltrate the ship thanks to Scotty and Carol Marcus who has boarded the Enterprise under a false identity to stop Khan and Bones land and discover that inside the 72 torpedos are Khan's "family" other genetically advanced humans from a by gone age. Khan takes the ship with Kirk and Scotty crushes Marcus' head in with his bare hands and uses Kirk, Scotty and Carol Marcus to bargain with Spock for his family. Spock calls up Spock Prime (Leonard Nimoy, yep he gets another cameo) to find out information on Khan to whom he complies with. McCoy instead removes the people inside that torpedos before transfer knowing Khan would open fire upon the crippled Enterprise as soon as he got what he wanted. They detonate the torpedos allowing Khan to believe his family is now dead and his own ship crippled causing both to fall to Earth. In a role reversal of Wrath of Khan Kirk repairs the warp generator in time to save the ship and crew dying from radiation poisoning leading to Spock this time shouting "KHAN!!" in rage who has crashed into Starfleet Academy and making a runner. Spock pursues and has a great fight with him but Uhura stops him killing Khan noting that Khan's blood is the key to saving Kirk who two weeks afterward awakes from a coma and assumes command again to start the Enterprise's five year mission to seek out new worlds and go where no man has gone before, etc, etc... So although it borrows some aspects of Wrath of Khan (which no doubt will annoy some people) it is an excellent film as good as the first (well technically 11th) and has restored my faith in cinema after the mediocre Iron Man 3 which has most likely made me lose some sleep over my annoyance with it Wink

So to give it a final score with excellent writing, great characters and just another great sci-fi spectacle I give this film a 9/10 and recommend it to you all. Now bring on Star Wars Episode VII Very Happy
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Location : In the Livery Inn, at the heart of the Westside Alliance

Star Trek: Into Darkness Empty Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Post by Wayward Daughter Thu 16 May 2013 - 20:04

You're right, it is incredible. And brilliant. And amazing. First film in 3D I've ever seen and actually liked the 3D, for a change. I haven't seen any of the earlier versions, only the 2009 ones, so I wouldn't know about any comparisons with The Wrath Of Khan (although I did vaguely recognise the name), but in a way, those similarities sound like a good thing. Like a rewrite of the series paying tribute to the corresponding film of the original.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Tue 18 Jun 2013 - 23:01

I thought it was brilliant too! Saw it a few weeks ago so I can't remember it brilliantly but the special effects were amazing, it was really funny and I did get some of the references to Wrath of Khan, even though I'm not like majorly Trekkie I've seen that and a few of the original series. But yeah the film was amazing and I loved it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024 - 8:25