Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

3 posters

Any Game of Thrones fans here?

A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

Any Game of Thrones fans here? Empty Any Game of Thrones fans here?

Post by A Returning Charlotte Tue 31 Dec 2013 - 22:58

Does anyone here like GoT? I haven't read the books or seen the show myself but from bits I've picked up around the web and from friends, it seems like something I'd love if I had the time to read it and watch it. Well apart from all the sexual violence and the torturing and murdering of characters I love, that is. Unfortunately it seems all that is the main plot. Oh well. Are there enough people here to warrant another obsessions forum or should we make one anyway? What would you call it?
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Location : In the Livery Inn, at the heart of the Westside Alliance

Any Game of Thrones fans here? Empty Re: Any Game of Thrones fans here?

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 31 Dec 2013 - 23:08

Pippy watches it and has read the books. Josh has (but hardly posts). I'm considering reading the books once I finish the series I'm currently obsessed with (the last book of that one is out in the new year). I'm with you for the TV series though - nudity and sex scenes isn't really how to sell something for me.
    A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

Post by A Returning Charlotte Tue 31 Dec 2013 - 23:22

Oooh good to hear. Maybe we could all start a thing. Hmm. What are you currently obsessed with then? Miss Nosy returns.

Well I don't so much mind nudity or sex scenes as long as they're necessary to the plot and were in the books. I like my shows and films to be similar to the books. I think the books have masses of nudity and sex scenes too. I've gathered there's a lot of raping going on in both the books and the show so I'm not looking forward to that.
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 31 Dec 2013 - 23:27

The Wheel Of Time Series. Ever heard of it?

Gees! I freak out at almost rape scenes, I'm definitely gonna hate those parts if I read it. I've already heard about the apparently necessary massacre of popular favourite characters.
    A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

Post by A Returning Charlotte Tue 31 Dec 2013 - 23:51

Oooooo nope. I'll go google it.

That's why I'm so reluctant to start reading and watching it. I can't really watch or read stuff like that.
    The Little Lebowski
    The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski Wed 1 Jan 2014 - 0:00

I'm a fan of Game of Thrones. I've owned all the books for a while and am still only halfway through the first book. Unfortunately I just can't get hooked like with the series. I always hear people saying they can't put the book down but aside from one of two characters, I struggle to turn to the next page. The author seems to constantly repeat details and go off on tangents. If you like vivid world building you won't mind but if you prefer straight to the plot writing like me it is a pain.

A Returning Charlotte wrote:Well I don't so much mind nudity or sex scenes as long as they're necessary to the plot and were in the books.
    Yes there is a lot of it in the books so far, even from children. Quite a few characters had to be aged up in the show for that very reason. Luckily, unlike the books, the show has a habit of using what is being called "sexposition" so all scenes involving sex and nudity tend to advance the plot or reveal character motivations more than other scenes.
    A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

Post by A Returning Charlotte Wed 1 Jan 2014 - 0:09

One more for the club! Yay! I like both complicated worlds and also less migraine inducing plotlines. It depends on my mood. I'm glad it is a massive world to fall into at the moment but it'll probably get a bit much at times. There must be hundreds of characters.

I suppose in the GoT world there's a younger minimum age for sex or they just don't care and will have sex with anything that's started puberty, like Romans. It'll be a cultural ting but it's still gross.

I must go get some alcohol now since it is 2014. I will return. Maybe later. Maybe in the afternoon.
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Wed 1 Jan 2014 - 11:20

Is it easier to read than to watch, because it's less in your face? Yeah, I'd think you'd have to ignore the parts which mention the ages of the younger sexcapade members.
    A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

Post by A Returning Charlotte Wed 1 Jan 2014 - 12:52

I wouldn't know. We'll have to wait on Sylar to tell us.
    The Little Lebowski
    The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 12:20

I'm not sure. As I said it mostly depends on what you enjoy when reading a book. I prefer straight to the point, James Sallis style writing so all the (mostly unnecessary) description just puts me off. If you like description and detailed world building then it won't be an issue, all the sex and nudity - as A Returning Charlotte said - is just a part of that. It isn't really in your face and so far has only had a couple of instances that have gone into detail. While it might be justified due to the setting and characters, I just have a problem with it mostly because it only seems to be there to shock the reader.

Whereas the show might be more graphic in that they're being acted out and include frequent full frontal nudity, it does put those scenes to use by taking the opportunity to reveal plot or character details.
    A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

Post by A Returning Charlotte Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 15:12

Gah, I'm gonna hate those bits that are only there to shock. Does the show stick to the storylines in the books quite well?
    The Little Lebowski
    The Little Lebowski

Post by The Little Lebowski Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 18:20

Season 1 follows the first book very closely and the rest still follow the overall story of each book but add a little of their own thing in there too. I think the next season follows the first book to be split into parts. It was over a 1000 pages and had to be published in 2 parts. I have no idea how they're going to adapt that into 10 episodes like the others.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024 - 1:55