Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

2 posters

S.

The Little Lebowski
    The Little Lebowski

S. Empty S.

Post by The Little Lebowski Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 12:52

Anybody read it? I'm currently a few chapters in and must say it is... something. The writing style takes a bit of getting used to and makes reading it take more time than a usual book. It is made up of the fictional book, "Ship of Theseus", footnotes about the author and the annotations of two readers trying to piece together the mysteries and conspiracies surrounding the book and the author. All the while being observed by a person or organisation only known as S. And if that wasn't enough you also have items scattered throughout the pages such as a code wheel, letters, postcards and a drawn on real napkin. Some of which you can see in this image. http://e.fastcompany.net/multisite_files/fastcompany/imagecache/1280/poster/2013/11/3021011-poster-p-1-novel-ship-of-thesus-book.jpg

It was conceived by JJ Abrams and definitely manages to get the same kind of feelings as early episodes of lost. He even created a short teaser for it:

It's too early to say if the book is any good yet but the style is similar to The House of Leaves, so if you liked that this may be worth a look. Good or bad I have to say that the presentation alone made it worth buying, I've already mentioned the contents but to complete the immersive, meta experience, the book itself looks old and has a library sticker on the spine and checking out card at the back. And you get a stylish box to keep it in which stops everything falling out.

It's nice to see that while piracy is high, and (due to file size vs physical size of a book) is no doubt more of a danger to traditional publishing than it is to movies, the people involved with S. went to extra lengths to make a book worth paying for, not to mention give you an experience you wouldn't be able to achieve through an ebook (though a version is available) instead of the Hollywood route of complaining and trying to censor the internet.
    A Returning Charlotte
    A Returning Charlotte
    Brilliant

S. Empty Re: S.

Post by A Returning Charlotte Thu 2 Jan 2014 - 14:51

I've heard of it. It was recommended to me by Amazon. I haven't looked into getting it yet tough because I'm skint. It sounds more interesting than I first thought.

Current date/time is Sat 18 May 2024 - 5:44