Heroes Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion about Heroes NBC

+3
Bil
Mrs P Sylar
Wayward Daughter
7 posters

Changeling

Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Location : In the Livery Inn, at the heart of the Westside Alliance

Changeling Empty Changeling

Post by Wayward Daughter Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 16:16

Life used to be normal.

What is normal? I've recently learned that is a lot more subjective than you'd think. So I guess I should have said life used to be your usual normal. Family, job, friends, studies.......that kind of thing. The life everyone else have, and take for granted.

The day which turned normality on its head, started quite similarly to any other for me, without any sign or clue of how my life would be altered within those 24 hours. My alarm rang, and I was reluctantly drawn from sleep. I dragged myself out of bed, got dressed, ate breakfast, got ready and left the house. Normal day. Routine. I'd walk to my lectures, and spend a few hours doodling mindlessly on my notes while pretending to pay attention. Gossip with some friends over a much needed caffeine fix, then returned to doodling for another hour. After that was over, I had to drag myself into work.

It was just like I'd predicted. 3 hours of boredom, before we could escape, almost running to the cafeteria, grabbing our coffees and a table for each social circle. I just sat there, people watching, listening as my friends discussed what had happened last night. I didn't have much to contribute. Since I'd been feeling ill and drained for the last week, I'd reluctantly admitted to myself that I couldn't go out. And a night spent inside vegging out in front of the TV is never gossipworthy.

Of course, now, I could explain to you exactly why I'd been feeling like that before. But back then, I didn't have a clue. I was so innocent, so naive. I had no idea that this life was drawing to an end.

The 15 minute break over, we dragged ourselves back into the lecture hall, enduring yet another hour as the professor droned on and on about something, I'm not quite sure what it was. It seemed to last forever. Afterwards, I bid casual goodbyes to my friends, with no idea how permanent they'd be, and walked the short distance to the supermarket where I'd work whatever shifts I could fit in for the much-needed cash.

A few hours later, I was on the shop floor, stocking shelves, and a customer had called my attention asking where the ketchup was. I'd sighed, climbing down the ladder to answer the woman. And then.....I still don't really know what happened. My memory of it has always been vague. My head was spinning, I couldn't breathe, my heart was hammering about a thousand times faster than it ought to beat. My senses all stopped. And I felt a rush of energy, like all of life was pouring into me, like anything was possible, and if I wanted to I could have reached up and pulled down the very heavens. And then it stopped.

When I came to, the woman was staring at me, horror and fear vivid in her expression. I could read the silent accusation in her eyes. The truth. And then when she raced out of the store, running as fast as her wobbly legs could carry her, I knew she'd be running to report that I, Ariana Jasmine Mitchell, was one of them.

I couldn't feel the panic which I ought to have, in that situation. Instead, I was numb, temporarily. I knew that eventually I'd be screaming "Why me? Why did you choose me?", but it hadn't fully registered yet. I was staring down at my hands, which in my eyes, in all of society's eyes, might as well now be stained crimson with blood. Those hands would now be the tools for impossible, unnatural deeds. As I ran out of the shop, away from this revelation and away from life as I'd always known it, I was unconsciously evading any kind of reflexive surface: I knew what I'd see. And I couldn't take seeing the mark on myself, not yet. Not the definite proof, as if I needed more than that experience, that reaction. All that was left was for me to start affecting things, I thought with a shudder. That and the customary capture in the early night, followed by being thrown into a cell, experimented upon until an "accidental" death.

No. I knew where I was going, now. The thought might possibly terrify me more than that alternative, but accepting that would be giving in to all of it. And I've never been a quitter.

There was only one place I could turn to.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Changeling Empty Re: Changeling

Post by Mrs P Sylar Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 17:51

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It's good! dance fireworks
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 17:53

Thanks. Any idea about what happened to her? Or what might happen next?
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 14:02

My hand was shaking as I knocked upon the door. I hadn't run far. Just down a few streets, crossing the river, and now I was in the downtrodden part of the city.

I waited, my breath held and heart pounding, until my state was beginning to remind me of the earlier fit. Not again.....but it didn't intensify. When the door opened, I had no trouble seeing the elderly man who looked at me with a searching gaze. His eyes roamed over my face, and then he nodded.

"You'd be needing 3 doors down, miss. Free house."

Then the door was shut in my face.

I swallowed down my nervousness, and walked down 3 houses, dragging my feet. I was afraid. But, as I already knew, there was nowhere else for me, now. Nowhere but here. Again, I knocked, and waited, my entire body trembling by now. I had no idea what to expect. My imagination was going into overdrive, but I was trying to tell myself that what I was visualising would be impossible.

When the door did open, I stood there for a minute, blinking in stupidity because what I saw was such opposite to what I'd been anticipating. So.........normal. Yes, that would be the word. Again, the young woman there glanced immediately to my face, seeing the mark upon me. However, she ushered me into the house.

"Are you going to come in or not?" she asked, seeing me hesitate. She looked like she was resisting the urge to roll her eyes. Taking a breath, I stepped in and began to follow her.

I was looking down at first, but eventually, curiosity made me raise my head and gaze around. There wasn't much to see. The hallway was dim, and narrow. The few doors we passed were closed. She turned into the last one, leading me into a large, scarcely furnished kitchen. The only light came from the fireplace on the other side of the room, which was filled with shadows. There were many chairs around the central wooden table, but only 2 were currently occupied. The woman nodded to the 2, young men so similar they could be brothers, smiling sweetly at the second.

"That's Nick and Daniel," she explained. "This is..........."

She hesitated, then realising that she hadn't asked my name.

"Ariana."

"Pleased to meet you, Ariana. I'm Laurel."

I was about to repeat the pleasantry back to her, feeling that I should even though it wasn't strictly true, when another voice cut across me.

"Brilliant. New blood."

I started. I was certain I hadn't seen anyone else........ But now I could notice someone, a figure sitting hidden deep in the shadows beside the doors. I couldn't see anything of the face; just feel eyes trained on me.

With an unsettling grace, she slid forwards, into the light. That strange movement would have been enough, as would her appearance. Dark hair, eerily pale skin, gleaming dark eyes. I didn't need the 2 intersecting lines at the edge of her nose to tell me. She was one of them, one of....us. I shuddered. But she was more than that. One of the born ones, the Naturals.

My eyes widened, reflexive hate rushing in and filling me. They'd accept even one of those here?! With all they did.......! She turned to look at me, her face expressionless, and her eyes keen. It seemed that she didn't care, at all. Just....curious? That's how it appeared. Next thing, my emotions were in chaos. That hatred, pain, a defensive instinct.....what was going on?! What was she doing to me?

"What the hell are you doing?" I exclaimed. "Haven't you already done enough?! Stolen my entire life...."

She didn't have a chance to defend herself. Before she could even think to speak, both men had risen, one stepping between us. Nick, I think.

"That wasn't her. Got that? Because we all accept her for what she is. And if you don't then you're no longer welcome here."

An unnatural calm spread through me, through the room. I glared at her. I knew it was her doing; she probably made them defend her, too. But there was nothing I could do. It's a known fact that those born to this are always much stronger than those changed.

I stormed out of the room, the door slamming closed behind me. I ran upstairs without looking where I was going; throwing myself into the nearest open room I found and locked myself in. Then I collapsed onto the bed, and gave in to my despair.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 14:24

Smile It's really good. Very Happy
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 14:33

Thanks Very Happy
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 21:56

I didn't move from where I'd thrown myself. I was too emotionally wracked to do so. The events of the last day were capturing me now: the earlier ones mocking me with what I'd lost, the rest purely tormenting me. My entire body was shaking. Hours passed, without any motion on my part, and eventually the pain changed. My emotional turmoil was overthrown, as a dull ache began to spread through my body, growing stronger and stronger. Even breathing was painful. I lay there, unable to do anything, wishing it'd go away.

I didn't hear the knock upon the door. I was in no state to pay any attention neither to it, nor to the sounds of footsteps and the slight alteration when someone sat beside me. I only knew she was there when I felt hesitant hands caress my hair.

I jerked away.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

"Sorry...." she moved away a little, showing her hands, "I didn't really know what to do....I heard the change is painful, and I thought I'd try to help.....doesn't seem to have worked, though."

She glanced down. If I hadn't have known better, I'd have thought her ashamed.

"You were really trying to help? Unlikely. You were probably feeding off my pain; after all, it's what your kind do!"

"My kind?" her eyes flashed. "You better get used to it being "our kind" now, girl. And no, that's technically incorrect. We feed off any emotions, and try to avoid negative ones if possible."

"Really?"

She nodded, her mouth twisting in a small smile.

"Those taste bitter," she explained. "You really don't know anything, do you? Apart from the legends. I better tell you......"

I stared at her. She was really going to help me with this? Really? She was acting.....well, human.

"What's your name?" I asked, at last. If she really was human, or a person at least, then I ought to know her name. "Mine's Ariana."

"Sky. Sky Silver Ashford. Or that'd my name for now."

I wondered what she meant by "for now". Was she planning to change it or something?

"No," she shook her head. "But you're only getting my human name, now. I'll tell you my self-given name when I know you better."

"Do the others know it?" Was that why none of them had named her in front of me.

"No. We don't tell humans these names. Just fellow Atari."

"Atari?" I mouthed the unfamiliar term.

"What we call ourselves. Atari - people of the otherness. Who fall into those born into it, the old blood, and those who are chosen later in life, the new blood."

Oh, so that's what she'd meant earlier. I thought she'd meant it offensively, I didn't know that was standard terminology. I realised I hardly knew anything.

"Please. Help me. Tell me......tell me what I need to know."
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 21:59

I like Sky. Smile She's awesome. Smile

"Those are bitter." Smile
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 22:04

I like her too Very Happy She's my fav in this, I think. I'd narrate as her, but Ariana's POV is easier to see.

Laughing Yeah. I'm guessing they wouldn't taste nice Razz
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:23

Laughing Easy option. Smile Why not try swapping for like a few chapters?
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:30

I don't know. Maybe I will, further in. I'm trying to write the next one now.
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:38

"I'll try. But there is a lot" she warned me. "It won't be easy, far from it."

"But I need it. I..." I hated having to admit the truth, "I need your help. I need you."

She nodded. She knew it was true as much as I did.

"Ask away."

"Before.....were you manipulating my emotions? Why did you do it?"

"It was accidental. Our own emotions are more extreme than those of humans, so we need to dampen them down to prevent them affecting others. I'd forgotten that other Atari are more sensitive to this, and mine were at the level to block humans only."

"Do I need to learn to control that?"

"Not yet. It won't be strong enough for humans to pick up until you've completed the change."

"But you can sense them?"

She nodded.

"It's just part of what we are......"

"No.....its fine.....I'll just have to cope with it......you said 'complete the change'. When will that happen?"

Sky hesitated, thinking over the answer.

"It differs with each person......and between old blood and new blood. With me, it took 20 years, while I was growing up. But you.....I'd guess you'd be powerful enough to alter emotions within a few months."

"What else could I do?" I asked, becoming excited over this for the first time. I'd been so wound up over what I'd lose, I hadn't thought of the advantages.

"A lot......there isn't much we can't do, really. But there ought to be a few skills you'll excel at. The rest come and go."

"How do I find out?!"

She laughed.

"They just come."

"How did you find out?"

"It's different, with old blood. You inherit all the skills in your family, plus your own original one. That one's the strongest."

"What's your strongest, then?"

"Air. Which explains my name - Silver is because I inherited Mum's skill of working with metals. My gran could detect these things."

"Does that mean you can tell mine?"

She smiled."

"Maybe," she teased.
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:48

Laughing "Maybe. If I feel like it." Smile
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:49

Nod She's messing her around a bit
    Mrs P Sylar
    Mrs P Sylar
    Man of Iron
    Man of Iron

Post by Mrs P Sylar Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:52

Big sister. Very Happy
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:56

lol!

Possibly, eventually. Also giving me time to decide on them
    Bil
    Bil

Post by Bil Tue 9 Mar 2010 - 23:56

Jus started readin + i fink its great. Very Happy Can i jus ask 1 fing tho? U dnt gota say if its a secret or woteva but is Daniel, Daniel Holtz. Jus curious as 2 wether u stil usin him or not. Lol.

I havnt bin on here much but did cross my mind as to wether u killed him off or not yet. Lol. XX
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:01

No, I don't think so. This is completely seperate from my other stories, and I'm not borrowing anything or anyone from anything else.
    Bil
    Bil

Post by Bil Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:08

It wudnt b classed as borrowin tho cos i gave him 2 u. I only needed his eyes. Lol.

So is he still alive sumwere then? Cos i not managed 2 read many stories these days. XX

How u bin? XX
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:09

Oh yeah, that RP character? I think he is. I may have dropped him blush

I've been good. You?
    Bil
    Bil

Post by Bil Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:16

Thats ok, dnt mind if u dropped him, killed him off etc..

Glad u bin gud. I bin ok-ish, jus mostly bored really.

Keep up the gud work. X
    Superheroesfanatic-IR
    Superheroesfanatic-IR
    Head Admin
    Head Admin

Post by Superheroesfanatic-IR Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:18

BIL hello fireworks dance
    Bil
    Bil

Post by Bil Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:20

Wots on SHF? I not on 4 long, jus killin time til i get a txt, cos my lastest bint wil b on facebook then. Lol. How u bin?
    Wayward Daughter
    Wayward Daughter
    Queen Of Angst
    Queen Of Angst

Post by Wayward Daughter Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:27

Rajan's gone offline

Yeah, I've mostly been bored too. The usual. Glad you're ok though. And I will
    Bil
    Bil

Post by Bil Wed 10 Mar 2010 - 0:30

He on my facebook anyway so he probly gone on there. Lol.

So wot u bin doin wit urself then? Bin ages since we chatted unless u wan me 2 go cos dont wana disturb u if ur ritin chicken. XX

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 11:10